Friday, July 23, 2010

Where the music be at?




So you may be thinking, "If this is a 'punk rock mommy' blog, wheres the music? You say you're punk so music it up!"

Like I said before, I think punk is an attitude, but punk just wouldn't be what it is without the music!

Here is a great site called True Punk that has news, reviews, and interviews of and with punk bands from today and the days of yore. ;)

One interpretation of the punk rock philosophy can be found here. (It's from wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. I believe that attitudes and philosophies are always adapting and changing. So I really think it's up to the individual to decide what punk means to them.)

And here are some pretty neat-o quotes from musicians about punk and punk's perception these days and older days:

Even though we're not the most punk rock band, the way we've done things is pretty punk rock. Just kinda say it with a big middle finger to the record labels and do it ourselves.
Brandon Thomas

I can play punk rock, and I love playing punk rock, but I was into every other style of music before I played punk rock.
Travis Barker

I come from the home-grown punk ethic, where it doesn't matter if you can't play a note, it's how you communicate.
Siobhan Fahey

I've always been spiritual but I've never had a proper context, and it took me awhile to find the proper context. It's hard to realize you can have any kind of relationship with God you want... and so I now have a punk rock relationship with God.
Billy Corgan

It's all magic to me. Country to punk rock, all of it. Chopin to Kurt Cobain. But it always all comes back to punk for me, because that was the last time, punk rock or grunge rock, was the last time that passion ruled the airwaves.
James Marsters

Mozart was a punk, which people seem to forget. He was a naughty, naughty boy.
Shirley Manson

Punk has always been about doing things your own way. What it represents for me is ultimate freedom and a sense of individuality.
Billie Joe Armstrong

Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock.
Kurt Cobain

Punk is not really a style of music. It was more like a state of mind.
Mike Watt

Some of my favorite bands range from the not-punk-at-all (Band of Horses) to pretty traditional punk (Minor Threat), from bubble gum (MxPx) to Oi (Dropkick Murphys), and from big-name-radio-friendly punk (Blink 182) to who-in-the-heck-is-this (Spud Gun)? I like my punk in all shapes and sizes, and plenty of other styles, too (rockabilly, grunge, Ben Folds Five-esque, etc).

And let me just say I'm not a music snob. I respect your choice to like what you like, even though I might think it's crap. I won't shove my opinion in your face, cause there's a pretty good chance you think a lot of what I listen to is crap. And I think music snobs are just so obnoxiously fake. Like, "Hey! Look at me! Look at all these weird, unknown bands I listen to! And here's a pic of me with Mr. Random McGuitarguy hanging BACKSTAGE at SXSW! Woah! I rock!"
LAME is all I have to say about that. :D And don't get me started on the ridiculous micro organizing of music genres these days! Also stupid.

So now I ask you dear punk ladies (and gents if you're out there :)) - What are your favorite bands, songs, and/ or thoughts about punk these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails